Micro Soccer Overview
The Micro Program provides 4- to 5-year old’s a fun, safe and developmentally-appropriate introduction to soccer.
In this program, we teach fundamental skills, basic movement skills (the “ABC”s of agility, balance, and coordination w/the ball) and help children learn to “move” skillfully. Players also learn how to work within a team environment, improve confidence and self-esteem, and enhance their social skills and interaction.
The Micro Program provides playing options for all U5-U6 players and prepares them for the Junior Rec or COE Academy Programs.
Key Objectives & Methodology of the Micro Program
- Key Objectives: Introduce the game, learn basic ball mastery skills, develop gross motor skills, improve social interaction, and inspire players to love the ball and grow in the game.
- Methodology: Fun, soccer practice activities develop confidence with the ball. Short, fast-paced games improve each player’s understanding of the game while minimizing “idle time” and boredom.
Team and Season Information
- Season Length: 12-14 weeks
- Game Format: Small-sided 3v3, Continuous Play Format
- Team Structure: Co-ed, balanced boys & girls, 6 player teams
- Practice Frequency: Two (2) per week, 1-hour each, beg. Feb 27th.
- League Games: One (1) each Saturday, with (4) 8-minute quarters
- Coaching: Volunteer coaches are provided free coaching education, training curriculum, practice plans, online and in-person training and mentoring from Rec Director & Club Director of Coaching.
- Size 3 soccer ball (properly inflated, with a name on it)
- Soccer cleats & Shin-guards
- Water bottle (with a name on it)
- GCS Recreational Uniform Kit (purchased separately, multi-year use)